After a leisurely lie in and a hearty breakfast involving porridge and home-grown raspberries, we decided to make matcha cupcakes for a dessert and treat feast we will be attending later today.
I had already decided that we would make matcha cupcakes as we still somehow have matcha left over from our travels.
Ingredients (makes 12 cupcakes)
- 110g butter softened at room temperature
- 110g golden caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 110g self raising flour
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- 200g icing sugar
- a few grams of matcha (for colour and some flavour)
- 2-3 tbsp water
- Preheat the oven to 180C and prepare 12-hole cake tin with paper cases.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale.
- Beat in the eggs a little at a time and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Fold in the flour, adding a little milk until the mixture is of a dropping consistency. Put the mixture into the paper cases until they are half full.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes (13 in our example), or until golden-brown on top and a skewer inserted into one of the cakes comes out clean.
- Set aside to cool for 10 minutes, then remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack.
- Sieve icing sugar and matcha into a big bowl. Add a little water at a time until a thick spreading consistency. Put onto cupcakes and add sprinkles to decorate.